RE: Banjo vs. Tube axle

To: "Jerry Collins" <jerry.d.collins@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Banjo vs. Tube axle
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:18:20 -0700
Jerry:

My answer is going to be a bit long winded, so bear with me.

1.  The steel wheel axle assembly is wider than a wire wheel assembly.

2.  The axle and wire wheel adapter design is totally different between
the two rear ends.

3.  The tube axle design is superior in many ways to the banjo design.

4.  Installing a tube axle in an early car will reduce the resale value
of the car significantly.

Suggestions:

If you intend to run wire wheels, then I'm also assuming that
originality has some value to you.  In this case I recommend keeping the
original wire wheel rear end in the car.  It is adequately strong and
although the design is not quite as trouble free as the tube, it is a
good unit.

If however you intend to run solid wheels, for ease of maintenance or
performance reasons, then the tube rear end can be readily installed in
the car.  The later U bolts, shock mounts and bump stops would have to
be used and a drive shaft 1" longer installed.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  I have built two 65Bs
One for the street with alloy wheels and a later rear end.  One for the
track using the original WW banjo rear end specially converted for alloy
wheels.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf