Re: 52 TD Engine #14139

To: mrazor@mis.net
Subject: Re: 52 TD Engine #14139
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:56:41 -0400
Mike,
  The engine # is on the octagonal brass plate, right front side of
engine, but as plates may have been changed, the number might have been
changed too, or the plate from another engine used on your engine.
   The engine # on the octagonal plate should be the same as the engine #
on the plate on the toolbox.
   On the block somewhere is stamped into the iron the real engine #.  I
can't recall just where it is though.  Try looking around the base of the
block, upper side of the flange where the sump bolts on.  Darn, wish I
could remember, as I _have_ seen it on my engine.  I remember noting at
the time how easy it was to remove the rivet holding the brass octagon
and how easy it would be to confuse engines and octagon plates in a shop
where a bunch of engines were on the bench.
Bob