Re: Starting Problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:19:04 -0500
Larry Daniels wrote:

> I have a friend with a starting problem on his newly acquired 72 BGT.  There
> are 12 volts at the pos terminal on the coil until the starter is engaged --
> then all juice is gone until the starter is disengaged again.  We tried
> jumping directly from a brown wire at the fuse box with no change.  The only
> way we could get it to work is to jump directly from the positive on the
> battery.  Any thoughts?

Sounds like the ignition is set up for a ballast resistor, but the
direct connection (that is provided while cranking) has failed. In a
ballast-resistor setup, the coil is built for a lower voltage. The
ignition switch is built to provide a direct connection when cranking
and a resistor-protected connection when not cranking. If the system is
wired wrong so that there is a direct connection when not cranking, the
coil may become damaged by the full 12v+. Check at the ignition switch
to make sure the connections are all good, then check to see where the
direct 12v+ connection (while cranking) has been lost. Since you have
the full 12v+ while not cranking, perhaps the connections at the switch
have been reversed and the resistor or resistor connections have failed.

> Second question: has anybody ever found a distributor wrench for an LBC?
> 11mm, I believe -- although 7/16ths is only a bit of a sloppy fit.  Those
> bolts can be a real PITA to get at.

I just use a short 7/16" box wrench. If a hex won't allow you to loosen
them, perhaps a 12-point will work. I think the fasteners should be
7/16" since I'm fairly sure LBCs didn't use metric.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/