RE: Spyware Blaster -

To: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>,
Subject: RE: Spyware Blaster -
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:19:19 -0700
David,

I started "in computers" in 1965 - real time stuff like defence systems,
nuclear power control and such exotic applications.  What always amuses me
is the "new" stuff that the commercial field brought out (IBM, Burroughs,
ICI, Univac, etc) in the 70s and 80s.  Some of it we were doing in the
60s.  For instance, dynamic memory allocation, distributed processing,
distributed peripheral controllers, multi-tasking/threading.  The UK
universities had 'internet' working very well and was well used in the
early 60s  As for touch screens I put in a ferry schedule system for
passengers in 1966 using touch screens.  But then what is new?  Did you
know faxing is over 150 years old?

At 06:09 PM 5/16/05, Councill, David wrote:
>I am also a computer professional. Not intentionally, it just sort of happened
>over a span of years, and eventually I became fully entrenched in the field.
>As part of that assimilation, I became active on the Internet maybe 12 or so
>years ago and have been on this list almost that long. Back in those days,
>before Al Gore "invented" the Internet, it was mainly just computer
>professionals on the Internet or it seemed that way.
>
>I think what ended up sucking me into the computer field was my tendency to
>fix things, something I acquired early on from owning LBCs, starting in
>college. I am a network administrator now for a medium sized college and I
>still see my main job as keeping the equipment tuned and running, just like my
>LBCs. I sense that I am not the only one on this list who is tied to both
>interests due to a tendency to troubleshoot and fix things.
>
>Over the years, we have traversed many other topics besides MGs on this list
>just as a part of general conversation. Computer technology being one common
>topic. As far as the Microsoft spyware beta, I will have to agree. I am
>running it on my work computer and it seems much more advanced than other
>spyware detecting programs with its scheduled scans and updates. Its just even
>now, despite the fact that Microsoft has helped me do well the past several
>years, that I still find it ironic to be trusting M$ of all companies to
>protect me from spyware.
>
>David Councill
>67 BGT
>72 B