Re: Back pedalling odometer

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back pedalling odometer
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:02:25 -0500
> How does one take the odometer back to zero.  I often here about this
> being
> done.  Does one just stick an electric drill on it and wind back?

The odo is driven by a "picker" so reversing the drive will not reverse
the odo.

I take the odometers apart to repair them when the primary number wheel
gets loose on its shaft and the odometer stops advancing. This same
method can be used to set them to any figure you like. Be aware than in
many states and some countries this is a felony, but usually only if
it's used to defraud. I don't recommend that you try this if you are not
experienced in working on clocks and meters, since it's VERY fiddly and
difficult, especially without the right tools. However, you might
consider my method, if you aren't daunted by the warnings: I got around
a dozen odometers out of a friendly salvage yard, back in the 60's, and
tore them all apart to see how they worked.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/