RE: Back pedalling odometer

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Back pedalling odometer
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:45:19 -0600
When I rebuilt the engine on my 71BGT back in '83 or thereabouts, I set
the odomotor back to zero so I could track mileage on the new engine. I
physically turned each one of the numbers to zero, using a flat
screwdriver as I recall. However, you have to be careful not to leave
scuff marks - I think I had a few small ones. Neeedless to say, the
speedometer only got up to 50,000 miles or so after that before it died,
plus there was a couple of years when the right angle drive was broke so
I drove without speedometer or odometer capabilities. So my original
purpose of tracking engine miles was defeated.

I did keep track of gas though so I always had a reasonable idea of the
mileage on the engine. It lasted about 17 years roughly and 150k miles
before the car died due to an accident (girl ran a van into the front
fender). So I rebuilt the engine again and it now powers my 72B.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
dcouncill@msubillings.edu