No silicone brake fluid for me either

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: No silicone brake fluid for me either
From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:29:50 -0700
I agree with Bob, silicone fluid in my '65 was a disaster.  The walls of the
tin can reservoir condensed enough water to rust out a new master cylinder
in less than 18 months.  I don't think there is any way to get water out of
the master, it seemed to be trapped around the piston.  The only
justification for silicone is for racing where extreme brake temps are
encountered.  Silicone fluid has a much higher boiling point than glycol
based fluid.

I'm back to biannual flushes with Castrol LMA.  My current brake system has
lasted 6 years so far with this maintenance.

Stuart MacMillan

'65 MGB in damp Seattle