Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)

To: "Rick Brown" <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>, <TR6UO@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:09:30 -0700
Steve,

Having lived in several countries - Africa among them I would agree with
the suggestion that something is bought locally (good second hand !) AFTER
you have determined what services are there.  We nearly bought a new 2 1/2
liter RMF Riley but ended up with a Standard Vanguard (now that's dating
me) - because there was a major Standard garage in town.

At 10:11 AM 6/6/2005, Rick Brown wrote:
>Steve
>
>As a former Foreign Service Staff Officer and having been assigned to
>Dakar, Senegal for a couple of years I can say that she should wait and
>purchase something used - perhaps from one of the outgoing staff
>members.  I bought a Ford Cortina used from another staff member and used
>it until I left and sold it there.  This is of course just for running
>around town - if she plans on trips far afield (not advised!!) she would
>be better off with something newer.  DO NOT Take an American car as it
>would be impossible to get serviced and parts would be unobtainum.
>
>She should be getting a document from the post describing transportation
>and personal autos as well as other pertinent things she should know about
>the post. I believe the Foreign Service lounge in DC should have pamphlets
>available.
>
>Good luck to her.
>
>Regards
>
>Rick
>Webmaster for:
>  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgbr  - The North American MGB Register
>  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcouncil -  North American Council of MG Registers
>  http://web.tampabay.rr.com/britcars/ - The Suncoast Classic MG Club and
> Nature Coast British Car Club
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: <TR6UO@aol.com>

Barrie Robinson
705-721-9060
MGB GT V8 in the making
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII in the wings

Purveyor of O-ring kits for Smith and Jaeger gauges
------- and of stainless steel mesh grilles for MGBs
------- and of bitumastic soundproofing