Re: Parts Suppliers Complaint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts Suppliers Complaint
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:56:15 EDT
Kelvin's ears probably perk up when he sees a header like this. Relax
Kelvin, it isn't Moss (this time;-)

I was ordering a part from Victoria British - it probably weighs about 4
ounces boxed up. They called me and told me it would cost me $35 to get it to
me
(I'm in Canada) via UPS and slightly less by USPS large parcel post.

After a short rant, I suggested that as I received heavier things all the
time for about $6 postage, just MAYBE they could investigate using not large
parcel but normal Global Priority post that costs only 20% of their quote.

Maybe it is a lot easier for vendors to use only one method of posting
items, but if so, that isn't responsive to their non-US customers' needs.

As asking them to figure out something else caused them to refer it back to
another department where it might have rested until someone got around to
actually doing something about it (and as VB often aren't all that quick to
ship
anyway) I finally gave up and got things back on track by having them mail it
to  a nearby US address.

Maybe any vendors on the group can comment about why they don't use  whatever
form of postage makes sense economically for the particular item in
question.

This isn't the first time I've run up against this quirk of Canadian postal
rates, BTW. When you want to mail something that DOES weigh enough to be a
normal parcel, the rates are high - I ordered a large book from Britain and
was
quoted #30 for postage (it  is a fairly heavy tome). Sent it to the US
address for 10 quid.  So if I  was ordering a cylinder head or something else
large
and/or heavy, I'd have no  option, but in that case, the shipping would be a
small portion of the total,  rather than damn near exceeding the item price in
my case.

Bill
(PS - Kelvin, I'd have  bought it from you guys, but you don't have  it;-)