RE: Spot Welder

To: <timfboston@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spot Welder
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:14:05 -0700
Tim:

If you can get a spot welder there are a number of welds that can be
done more effectively.  Unfortunately the majority of the welds cannot
be reached with the jaws of the welder.  It would save time and gives a
better finished product on the visible welds across the bottom of the
rockers.  Check out electrical power requirements, as the MIG welders
don't take much current, but the spot welders usually do.

The spot welder does not take welding classes, as it is just needs
practice.  MIG welding is pretty easy, but absolutely take the class so
you learn the correct techniques, safety advice etc.

Metal removal and lineup of the parts takes the most attention to
detail.  If you have access to air, an air powered punch for making the
puddle weld holes in the floor pans is well worth the investment.

My wife and I were watching "An MG is Born" the other night and were
having a real case of "tool envy" seeing the spot welder and fresh air
apparatus in use.

Typically the OE pressings (British Motor Heritage) are a bit crisper
and since they are used to build shells on a regular basis the fit may
be a bit more accurate.  My recommendation would be to use OE panels
where available if you need a complete panel, such as the rockers and
floors.  In many cases an aftermarket rust repair panel is all you will
need.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of timfboston@aol.com
> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 5:37 AM
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Spot Welder
>
> I am thinking about tackling my withering sills and floors on my 71'
B.  I