RE: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance

To: "'Charles & Peggy Robinson'" <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: RE: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:55:48 +0100
"... Tell your friend that the below simply isn't true.  For example, the
Toyota Prius hybrids are the lowest-emission cars around and they have cats.

   Cheers,

    CR

Bob Howard wrote:

SNIP

>    It is his understanding that today's formulation burns cleaner than
> the 1980s fuel, hence a working cat is no longer needed to pass
> emmissions.

   SNIP..."

Todays fuels certainly are improved - maybe what the guy was meaning was
that a cat wasn't required to get a Spit to pass the leniant emmissions
requirement that it has; a cat certainly is required to get a modern car
through IT'S emissions requirements.

Mention of the Prius I think is a bit of a diversion - the Prius has very
low CONSUMPTION (and so CO2 emmissions, which are essentially the amount of
fuel burn) are low.  However, emissions testing is about the percentage of
nasties (CO, Nox) in the exhaust, not the total amount pumped out, and I'm
not aware of the Prius being particuarly better on this measure than most
other cars with modern engines (but someone better informed is welcome to
tell me I'm wrong!).

Richard Gosling

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.