Re: electric vs water choke?

To: bill <bilking@comcast.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electric vs water choke?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:26:22 -0500
At 09:29 PM 9/12/05 -0400, bill wrote:

>Apparently a Carter fuel pump which looks like an ideal spare or
>even primary.  Anyone see somethin lacking besides the tick, tick?
>
>http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

Many years ago I had a Carter rotary fuel pump, differrent model,
somewhat larger, which made a hell of a loud whining noise.  I have
no experience with this smaller model.

>I wonder what you get with the 2 pound heavier pump?

You get carburetor problems with higher pressure.  SU carbs like 1.5
to 3.5 PSI fuel pressure.  Going over 5 psi is almost guaranteed to
make the floats overflow at certain resonance frequencies (mid range
engine speed).

For a replacement fuel pump I like this one:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fp201.htm

My only personal objection to the original SU fuel pump is the
contact points which tend to corrode and kill operation of the unit
if it is stored for several months (or longer).  If you store your
car for 6 months each winter it can be a royal pain to clean the fuel
pump points  every spring.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com