Re: electric vs water choke?

Subject: Re: electric vs water choke?
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:23:37 -0700
On Sep 12, 2005, at 2:43 PM, John.Hed@faa.gov wrote:

> Speaking of carbs.  I was eventually hoping to slowly increase the
> horsepower of my beautiful 'B'.  From what I have read, the easiest
> way is
> to improve the airflow. ( e.g. header and more flow-thru exhaust),
> then
> improve carb.  I'd rather not go to the multiple carb route, but
> maybe the
> Weber downdraft?  What are your thoughts as to this.  Is it worth it?
> $500+ for a weber setup better be worth it!

Just a not-so-humble opinion here, but there is only one conversion
that is "worth it".

Dual SU HS4 or HIF4.

You can spend $500 for a downdraft weber, and you will have a carb
that might be more reliable (once you finally get it tuned), and
might provide equal amounts of power in comparison to the Stromberg.

Dual carbs are not that scary really.  Once they are synchronized,
you just have to make the same adjustment twice.  At least with my
HIF set, they have been pretty much set-and-forget.

http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/SU/
also
http://www.shoyer.com/mgb/sucarbs.htm

The only problem I have is a fouling between the rear air filter and
the (disconnected) brake booster.  One of these days, I'll come up
with something to fix it, but I have often considered just bashing
the booster.