electric vs water choke?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: electric vs water choke?
From: John.Hed@faa.gov
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:43:49 -0700
I am curious as to what the difference is between the types of automatic
choke.  I was looking thru a catalog (VB I think) and saw the Weber kit and
it had options for manual choke, electric choke and water choke?   Moss
shows a kit for only the Manual (early)  or Electric (late) choke.  My 80
'B' has auto choke, but I think it only has a connection for coolant to the
carb, so I assume this means I have the "water" choke?  Or is mine
electrical?  Not being an expert on carbs, I'm confused.

Speaking of carbs.  I was eventually hoping to slowly increase the
horsepower of my beautiful 'B'.  From what I have read, the easiest way is
to improve the airflow. ( e.g. header and more flow-thru exhaust), then
improve carb.  I'd rather not go to the multiple carb route, but maybe the
Weber downdraft?  What are your thoughts as to this.  Is it worth it?
$500+ for a weber setup better be worth it!

If I stay with the ZS, would it help to add a K&N filter instead of the
clap-trap that is on it now?  If I do that, will it hurt the starting or
warm-up since all that clap-trap seems to be attached to get warm air to
the carb early.

As usual, your education is appreciated.

John Hed
80 MGB LE
john.hed@faa.gov

P.S.  I have already "detoxed" it, if you know what I mean.  ;-)
.