Rear Axle asymmetry (MGB)

To: mg listserve <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle asymmetry (MGB)
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:28:04 -0400
I have a 1970 MGB.

The rear axle seems to be slightly offset toward the drivers' side of
the car -- there is roughly a half-inch of clearance between the tire
and outer fender on that side, and roughly 1 1/4 inches on the
passenger side.  The rear of the car has all new poly bushes, and the
springs are virtually identical side-to-side.

The car has a particularly large set of 185-65 tires -- wider than
the previous 185-70s -- which made this clearance problem worse;
under hard cornering the tire rubs the fender lip.

I'm already planning to roll the fender lip, and considering a
panhard rod; but is there anything I can do -- or should check -- in
order to try and actually center the axle relative to the car?

Thanks,
Matt