RE: starter drive cover

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter drive cover
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:04:39 -0500

After Mike L wrote:
> > > Trying to figure out what is this MGA part - Moss 280-015,
> Cover, starter drive.
> > >
> > > Looks semi circular, possibly rubber in the pic. Anybody know
> what it does or where it goes?

I don't think that was exactly right, but I don't have the decisive
answer myself either.  Maybe we can encourage
Kelvin Dodd to let us know exactly what that Moss part is.

Starting with late production 1500's in January 1959 the starter
position was higher, which required putting a substantial bump in the
right side toeboard and tunnel.  The "bump" on the tunnel is sheet
metal, fabricated as an integral part of the tunnel, with a
corresponding notch in the toeboard.

My better "guess" might be this part is a sheet steel piece used to
modify the early tunnel for later specification if you need to
install the later gearbox in the earlier car.  As drawn in the Moss
catalog it appears to be rotated 90 degrees out of position, or it
would otherwise match the contour on the side of the (1600 type)
tunnel (shown in the illustration).

The other "starter drive cover" I'm familiar with is a sheet metal
cup with face flange and a few machine screws to attach to the back
of the bellhousing to cover the starter inertia drive where it
protrudes through the gearbox case.  I believe early production cars
did not have this part, and later ones did, but can only guess where
the transition point might be (maybe mid 1500 production).  Most MGA
will be missing this part, as it tends to get smashed on the tunnel
if you try to R&R the engine and gearbox as an assembly.  My car has
never had one, at least since I bought it in 1977.  In the most
recent 200,000 miles of use I have never had any problem with getting
a rock caught in the starter drive or anything getting into the
bellhousing (and I drive on plenty of gravel roads).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com