Re: Opinions of this welder?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Opinions of this welder?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:28:16 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:11:23 EST
> From: RampantNM@aol.com
>
> is this welder worth bringing home?
>
> DUAL MIG WELDER 151
> For use with or without gas.

The H-F web page doesn't give the price. (or I couldn't find it...)

This unit needs 230V. For mig welding sheet steel (like auto body &
frame repairs), a nice 115V model will do fine and be a lot more
'portable'.

It doesn't sound like it includes the items needed for shielding gas
(the I-G  in MIG) and I think you'll regret fussing with flux wire.
So - add the items needed for shielding gas to the H-F price.

Before buying that one, I'd suggest visiting a welding supply store
locally. You may pay a few dollars more there but you'll get some
expert advice and a source for supplies and parts. If you're lucky (or
can wait a little while) sometimes these stores get trade-ins from
some one moving up.

BTW, here is a product I've had good luck with:
http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf3/twentygauge.pdf

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell