RE: MGB overdrive

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB overdrive
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:36:58 -0800
Max:

Re: Alleged is a good word for it.  The RH side of the tunnel next to
the starter is really close, but so far, all the installs I have done
had not required any bashing.

BUT!!!!!

If you remove the engine only, you will not be able to reinstall the
engine onto the transmission without thumping the heck out of the RH
area where the starter goes.  With the transmission on it's mountings
you cannot lift the front of the trans up high enough to mate with the
motor because the starter area of the bellhousing will foul the tunnel.
The moral is to always remove and reinstall the engine and transmission
as a unit, and you won't have a problem.

Going back to my notes from the 80s, you are correct the non-OD 3 synch
box and the later gearboxes are approximately the same length.  You can
use the original propshaft if the original box was non-OD.

Kelvin.