Re: MGB overdrive

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB overdrive
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:21:13 -0800
On the subject of this alleged metal-bashing: I installed a late 4-synchro
tranny with LH overdrive into my 66 B, and I did not find a need for any
"metal bashing". It seemed to fit the tunnel just fine, width-wise. The part
that requires metal work is the top of the tunnel, since the shift lever is
moved about 4 inches further to the rear. It would seem to be simple to cut
a new hole, except for the fact that the 66 has a separate bolt-on top piece
for the tunnel, and the hole would have to be located right though the back
edge of this piece. British Automotive <http://www.mgbmga.com/> sells an
elongated plastic cover that is a tidy solution to this problem. You only
have to cut out the back edge of the opening a little with a hacksaw.

One warning about this conversion -- you will no longer be able to use any
fitted tunnel carpet kits, since the profile won't match either standard
configuration. For a totally tidy "factory" look, you would have to hand-sew
or glue a complex shape. I just padded it out with extra carpet padding, and
added a few snaps.

I don't know about the prop shaft issue -- seems to me I used the old one.
Maybe that is because I was going from early/non-OD to late/OD. I seem to
recall there were 4 propshaft lengths, for the different combos, and some of
them were so close as to make no difference.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149