Re: Fuel Prices

To: RampantNM@aol.com, jonesmp@prodigy.net, d_dibiase@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:34:28 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/06 1:49:16 PM, RampantNM@aol.com writes:

> Any  country that can decide to put a man on the moon in less than 10 years
> can  develope economically, methods for extracting oil from shale and
> converting  coal to oil.
>

> Agreed, but at what cost?

Why don't we ask the Brazilians how much it costs them to run a majority of
their vehicles, which are 95% mutli-fuel, on fuel distilled from sugar cane,
which, unlike oil, grows a new crop every year?
As usual, I find myself between the poles.    I don't believe anyone should
be prevented from buying anything they can afford, but on the other hand the
overwhelming proof that global warming is happening and the fact that oil is a
finite resource strikes me to be darn good arguments for doing something other
than just increase drilling.   This is so obvious that now even Bush agrees.
In the end, though, I'll be dead in another 20-25 years (if I'm lucky), so I
may be around just in time to see the hammer come down, but won't be overly
bothered by it unless the sea-rise gets my place on the (tidal) river.   By
that
time the talk-show mouths probably will have whipped their partisan fans into
such a frenzy of blind hatred that violence will have taken the place of
screaming, and the chance of getting anything done will be nonexistent.   My
slacker kids will have to deal with that.   Serves them right.
Have a nice weekend, and drive on Sunday.

Jay Donoghue

J.A. Donoghue
Director of Publications
Flight Safety Foundation