Re: Ethanol in the Gas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ethanol in the Gas
From: Blake Urban <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:00:36 -0500
Bob:

I've been using gasahol in my TD since the 70's. Had too as it was the
only way to get a high enough octane for the 9.3 compression the XPAG
has.  They only fuel line problem I had was way back in 1968 and the
early 70's BEFORE gasahol.

There is very little rubber in the fuel systems of an MG compared to
American cars with their STombergs, Zenuths, Holly's, Carters, etc. You
have two hoses coming into and out of the fuel pump and the hoses
leading to the carbs, and perhpas the little lines going from the float
bowls to the jets. If you think you will have problems just replace the
hoses with new. The only major problem could be the fuel pump, but all
of the newer ones I seen have a teflon sheet over the diaphram and use
teflon valves.

I've seen problems with rubber fuel lines getting hard or soft on
outboards many years before ethanol in gas. It's more the quality of the
line than the ethanol.

BTW, all that dry gas, HEET, you used to use in the winter was ethanol
or methanol. With gasahol, that's no longer necessary.

Regards,
Blake