RE: Moss warranty on water pumps...

To: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Moss warranty on water pumps...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:19:36 -0500
At 11:09 AM 5/26/06, Charley Robinson wrote:
>Instead of buying a Moss pump, I would highly recommend you send
>your old pump to Phil Marino to be rebuilt. ....

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I too would recommend having an original
iron body water pump reuilt.  The replacement pumps being sold at
least since the mid 70's have aluminum bodies.  The inlet ports were
very restrictive many years ago, but that may have been improved
some.  Still today the castings are very thin and tend to break the
mounting ear near the generator attachment point.  Several years ago
I had two of them break a few weeks apart.  I would never install an
aluminum body water pump again until someone comes up with a stronger
die casting design.

So far I have been re-installing used original iron body water pumps
and have never had one fail (knock on wood).  Of them is my factory
original water pump, now running on a third engine and having
accumulated well over 1/4 million miles.  Just don't make the fan
belt too tight.

$.03,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude