Re: Door seal fittings

To: "RD Williford" <dan_mgs@verizonmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door seal fittings
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:22:55 +0100
Almost certainly.  You will have to undo the pivot at the bottom of the
frame to get the opening part of the window out of the frame, and on both
mine the bolt had corroded badly and snapped.  Special bolt, spring and nut
were all available when I did mine just the sleeve between spring and bolt
was not, but some brass tubing from a model shop fitted the bill.  Have you
got the triangular seals that go in the fixed part of the frame?  Didn't
think they were available.  The seals that fit between glass and the opening
part of the frame are but tricky to install as they are just flat strip.  I
couldn't see how they were going to fold in half *and* by an angle of more
than 90 degrees and get all that surplus squashed into that little space so
cut darts in mine.  They don't leak but others have said they didn't have
to.  But I think both of us found that we had to leave the glass clamped
into the frame for several days, or the glass just oozed out again.  Since
then (15 years) it has been fine.

It's not that time consuming to remove the drop-glass and regulator, just
tricky working out how to fold it up to get the regulator out of the hole in
the inner skin.  But that was as part of a full restoration, for just
changing the door outer seal I'd imagine you will be able to leave the
regulator inside the door after having disconnected the runner on the bottom
of the drop-glass from it and lifted the glass out.

PaulH.