Re: 1967 Austin A60 Pickup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1967 Austin A60 Pickup
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:21:18 EDT
In a message dated 30/06/2006 8:49:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

I will  be bringing a spare dizzy, fluids, etc. and all the tools I "think" I
might  possibly need.  Any volunteers for a helping hand in case  something
happens that can't be handled on the  spot?

____________________________________

Larry - the A60 is dead reliable as long as you address the usual belt and
hoses issues. If the thing has been sitting a long time the water pump seal
might be an issue, and there is always brakes, but if the guy says all that is
working, you should have no problems.

The A60 pick-up and vans were unusual in that they retained pre-Pininfarina
styling and look like theolder A55s, yet have the updated underpinnings.

A really good conversion is to install an MGB engine (I'd go 3 main of
course but then I'm a reactionary old fart). We had one done here (Vancouver -
where we had quite a few commercial Austins) with Marina engine and automatic.
The diff is probably 4.55 (they were all the way up to 4.88 and even 5.125 in
the A55 - which is handy for me as I have those ratios for the race cars) but
you could fit a 4.1 or even 3.9. I think an MGB engine with maybe a 4.3 and
OD  trans would make a very nice combo.

The only other issue is brakes. You CAN convert to discs, but the
combination of parts to do so is lost in the mists of ancient memory - a
combination of
MGB and Austin Healey bits as I recall. There was one guy that  figured that
you could graft a complete early MGB crossmember onto the beast,  which might
be a bit more difficult, but worth looking at. Hmm - a pickup with a  tuned
MGB engine, OD trans, 72 spoke wire wheels (use Triumph adaptors) would be
pretty spiffy.

I just dredged up another bit of trivia from misty memory - the steering
column on the A60 interferes with a conversion to twin carb a la MGB - it hits
the rear float chamber. BUT you can get a manifold that will allow you to do
it.  The ZB Maggot had HD series carbs and a manifold with a bolt pattern that
would  allow you to mount HS series with floats the opposite way.  You could
also  use MGA style H series and cut off the rear choke linkage that
fouled.....anyway, there is a way to do anything.

Good luck with the car and keep us up to date on your adventures.

Bill Spohn