Re: 1967 Austin A60 Pickup

To: ladaniels@sbcglobal.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1967 Austin A60 Pickup
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:39:06 EDT
In a message dated 30/06/2006 10:59:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ladaniels@sbcglobal.net writes:

BTW, it  has right hand drive so the steering column comes down the other
side.  It also has a 4-speed on the left side of the column.   I've never
heard of "4 on the tree" before.  I'm used to the right  hand drive from
driving around in Ireland and last time there rented a BMW  with a stick, but
the left hand column shifting will be fun.  ;-)

____________________________________

I drive a RHD Jensen and have owned a couple of other RHD drive cars
(Magnette, TR-2) so have no problem with that, but I can see that a column
shift
would need some thinking!

When people do convert this sort of car to later engine, they usually go to
floor shifter - some of the regular A60 shifters will plug right into an MG
non-synch gearbox (just in case you ever do decide to go that way). With RHD
you  would have a very easy conversion and could use the MGB carbs without
modification.

If you ever want to go just part way, find an MGB 3 main engine. You could
simply bolt the rear engine plate from the 1622 onto the MGB and use the front
engine plate from the A60 and it would be a reversible drop-in operation. If
you  did want an OD, you'd have to mate one to the front case of the A60 trans
(you  need the shift rods that come out the side of the case to retain your
column  shift). Just source an early MGB OD trans and graft the mainshaft and
OD unit  onto the Austin transmission case.

I'm sorry, I don't recall if the driveshaft of the A60 is sliding spline or
conventional flange - if the latter, I can tell you how to have a spacer made
that would again make the conversion reversible. If sliding, you'd need to
make  up another driveshaft or modify yours.

Hmm    - I wonder how my Twincam race engine would look in  there....or maybe
a crossflow with Webers, or.....sorry, got a bit carried  away.

Bill