Re: Automatic to manual?

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic to manual?
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:27:43 -0500
Why would it be so much work? For a 'B that's so simple.

1. Pull engine/transmission - which may be needed for a full
servicing of
the automatic, if it's not correct.

2. Add a clutch MC and pedal. Probably change out the brake pedal. That
area certainly isn't different from the manual.

3. Add a copper line from the MC to the Slave cylinder area.

4. Pull the torque converter/flywheel. Put in a proper flywheel,
clutch plate, etc.

5. Install the new transmission.

6. Install the engine/transmission.

7. Install the slave cylinder and bleed.

8. Drive.

Ok, it's not trivial, but it's not that much more that pulling
the engine and tranny that would be needed to pull a tranny
for servicing.

I don't see why it wouldn't be completely reversible down the
road for the originality people.

If you do this, I'd go for the overdrive, or maybe a 5-speed
conversion, since the whole point is lowering revs and improving
fuel economy.

Paul.

On Jul 15, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Dan DiBiase wrote:

> darren <darren@abbotstone.ath.cx> wrote:  Hi Group..
>
> Does anyone have experience on changing the automatic mgb to a
> manual? I
> have a 1970 auto gt daily driver which I'm afraid is not very
> economical
> and on long run revs rather too much.. I am however loath to change
> the
> car from it's original spec... Any thoughts??
>

> Too  much work to be worth it, unless you're REALLY attached to the
> car,  Darren. And as someone else has noted, if it is an original
> B  automatic, they are REALLY rare so I'd hate to see it converted.
>
>   I'd really like to see some pictures of the interior. Got any
> posted  anywhere? I imagine that most of us have never seen a
> factory-origonal  B automatic....

Paul Root
77 MGB