Re: waving is not dead and Windscreen

To: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: waving is not dead and Windscreen
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:32:49 -0500
This mornings drive into work, I passed a CBB  with wires
in red, with the top improperly configured in the up position.

I tried to wave, but the cell phone was firmly planted
in the left ear. I bombed past.

The car had Wisconsin, plates, so had gone at least twice as
far as I had at that point. I think it was a little West of 3M on
I-94.

I tried out my weekend fabrication on the way in. I made a wind
deflector. I had a piece of Lexan I got off ebay a couple years ago.
30x5 inches. A couple of electrical conduit clamps, and a couple or
18 gauge plates, 2x9 inch. Bolted to the tonneau bar with some small
rubber strips used in mounting bike computers on the handlebars to
hold it steady.

It works pretty well, I still get a little wind, since the piece is
a bit small, but not near as much. I am able to turn the radio down
almost ten increments on the volume control. It's a cheap CD player
I got a few years ago. At highway speeds to hear songs I had to have
it at 52-54 or so. It would go to 60 but it's all distortion there.
Also, one of the speakers in my driver seat (Miata) has a rattle
at that volume. Now, I can have it turned down to 43 or so.

My big problem is that the piece was old. I got it 2-3 years ago for
this purpose, but never got around to it, until Oliver posted last
week. Well, the protective covering didn't want to come off. With
a little work, we got one side pretty well, but the second side just
won't come off.

I tried some cleaner. Goof Off, or Goo Gone, something like that. It
seems
to have made it worse. Not sure what to do there.

I still need to figure something else about storing it. I'm thinking
maybe
wing nuts on one side of the Lexan so I can separate the bars. I
might also
double up the 18 gauge plates, as it moves a bit.

Paul.

On Aug 13, 2006, at 9:24 PM, David Breneman wrote:

> I've actually had a couple guys on motocycles wave at me this
> year.  I guess it's sort of a brotherhood of non-cocoon motoring.
>

> David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com
>
> Your messages not reaching the list?
> Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

Paul Root