Re: oil pressure

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil pressure
From: "DON SCOTT" <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:41:21 -0700
Barney,
Thanks.  I will try that.  I know that priming is an issue from
rebuilding MG engines years ago.  I used to borrow a priming tank from
my machine shop that would put oil into the system prior to starting up
a newly rebuilt engine.
Don

At 10:04 AM 8/14/2006 -0700, DON SCOTT wrote:
>In addition-
>I disconnected the oil pressure line coming off the side of the
>block and cranked the engine- no oil coming out of the line.
>My old '62 MGA has been resting for two years in my garage, .... no
>oil pressure! ....

Sounds like a worn oil pump has lost its prime and is not
self-priming when dry (empty).  Try priming the oil pump by putting
oil in the block oil exit port (largest port at right rear corner of
block) and rotating the engine backward.  See here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/of103.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com