Re: Carburetion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburetion
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:07:27 EDT
In a message dated 01/09/2006 8:20:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I do not know why SU's get such a bad reputation. Possibly because
> they don't *look* like an American carburetor?

____________________________________

That may be part of it, but I think a larger  factor is the same thing that
makes people want to replace Armstrongs  with tube shocks.

A small part of this 'replacement syndrome' is  just the urge to at least
think you are improving something or making your car  somehow 'racier'.  But a
larger part is the fact that these parts are  often thrashed to a
fare-thee-well
when people  buy a used car. They  then install a new carb of another sort
and praise how well it makes the car  run compared to those crappy old SUs (a
drinking straw and a Dixie cup of gas  would probably be an improvement over
some of the really beat carbs I've  seen).

In fact it would be hard to improve on the SUs  on an MGB. They are excellent
carbs and far better than the economy 'Weber'  that people install. The ONLY
excuse for using that thing is if they want to  replace a single carb with
another single carb.

Bill