Re: overheating

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: overheating
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:54:19 +0100
Firstly, if it isn't steaming or losing coolant it isn't overheating!
Although 220 on an external instrument means it is running hot.

Feel around the radiator when it is doing this.

If it feels cool down by the outlet then there is something restricting the
flow.  You could try removing the thermostat just to see if this stops it
getting so high, but that should only be a diagnostic and not a 'fix'.  If
that makes no difference I have heard that the incorrect pump can be fitted
to some engines, which has a smaller impeller, and so less flow.

If the outlet is as hot as the inlet then either the engine is producing far
too much heat or the radiator can't get rid of it for some other reason.
Check the fan blades, these should be pulling air through the rad from
behind, not trying to push it forwards.  Whilst getting the blades the wrong
way round won't cause this to happen, there generally is a right and a wrong
way round for the blades, although the wrong way should make as much
difference as you are seeing.  If you have metal blades with one outer
corner rounded and the other outer corner with a sharp angle, the rounded
corner should be the leading edge.  For plastic blades with one thick edge
and one thin edge the thick edge should be the leading edge, like an
aircraft wing.  For any blade if it has a scallop that should be facing the
engine.

Retarded or advance timing can cause excessive heat to be produced.

PaulH.