Re: overheating

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: overheating
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:44:00 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 10:54 PM
Subject: overheating

73 mgb roadster, radiator recored at a supposedly reputable shop, new
thermostat, plastic fan, dealer add-on air conditioning, new sending unit,
reads same as old sending unit, second gage hooked up reads about the same;
system flushed by running water through it in the last few year or so,
antifreeze/water mixture fairly new, prob 60/40 to 50/50, new heater control
valve and radiator cap.

<snip>

In addition to the typical good advice you received from Paul H., I would
lower that quantity of anti-freeze to no more than 10 - 20% in the summer
and then raise it back to the amount needed for your winters.

Anti-freeze does not shed heat anywhere near as quickly as straight water.
It will raise the boiling point of the mixture, but will also raise the
temperature.  If you like, you can try adding a little Water Wetter from
Redline.  I ran straight water in my race car years ago and saw a 15 degree
drop by adding Water Wetter.  YMMV.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."