Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: "John Roberts" <robe3099@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:51:45 -0500
I just wanted to let everyone know where I am with my brake troubles.

Problem:
--------
Brakes do not stop the car.

Situation:
----------
Front Calipers rebuilt with new seals.
Rubber brake lines at front calipers replaced.
No brake fluid or pressure at rear driver side metal line when detached from
rear cylinder in brake drum.
Master Cylinder rebuilt and functioning.

Suggestion from David Lieb:
---------------------------
Check the master cylinder to make sure the rear brake circuit operates and
pumps brake fluid out since a bad rebuild may prevent correct operation.

Result:
-------
I checked the output from the master cylinder for the rear brake circuit.
It shot out brake fluid when I disconnected the line and worked the brake
pedal with an old axe handle.  So I can feel relieved that I did not
reassemble the MC using a Russian parts manual.

Here are the rest of the compiled suggestions so far.

1) Replace the flexible hose in the rear brake line near the rear axle, at
the "T" joint.
2) Repair/Rebuild the Pressure Warning Valve.  Make sure it is centered and
not jammed up.  Check the output from this valve to see if the fluid
pressure is present coming out of the valve.
3) Replace the copper washers at each caliper to ensure no air leaks into
the caliper. (I have bled the front brakes pretty well and have found no
problem with air seeping in there.  However, this would be a good idea to
prevent any possible avenue of air leak.)