RE: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: RE: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:37:47 -0600
I thought the reason for the dual master cylinder was redundancy so that
a rear or front brake failure would not end in total brake failure. This
was a USA mandated safety standard. Mk1 Bs had a single master cylinder.

When I had a small pinhole in my rear brake line where it went over the
axle, I had firm brake pedal like normal (72B, right after a mult-year
restore). However, when bleeding the rear brakes, I only got a small
trickle rather than a normal flow of brake fluid through the nipple on
the passenger rear side. And on a couple of test drives going maybe a
few hundred yards, I noticed my front brakes started overheating, due to
the front brakes doing all the braking. Those were my only symptoms. It
was a matter of determining where there was and wasn't the correct flow
of brake fluid.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B