Re: fuel leak near right rear wheel...

To: dkmullen@email.unc.edu
Subject: Re: fuel leak near right rear wheel...
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 06:38:54 -0500
  I recall a similar experience long ago; it was night and raining.
  The '75 and later cars have fuel pumps mounted half-way into the trunk;
older cars have them mounted in what would be the area of the chassis
dog-leg if there were one.  Regardless of location, pumps do get old and
they can leak.  Hoses are also suspect, as are all connections.   Once
you have daylight you can lift the car for a good look.
  Even if it is the pump that is leaking now, it would be good practice
to relace hoses too.  Use some PBBlaster or other penetrant on the brass
fittings before wrenching. They can be stuck tight and they are delicate.

  Some owners install in-line filters in the hose between tank and SU
pump.  It's not original, but it's not a bad idea either. 30 year-old
tanks can have a bit of rusty sediment. There is an in-tank screen, but
it's old also.
Bob