What's going on and hydralic cam followers.

To: "MG Club Philadelphia" <Philly_MG_Club@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: What's going on and hydralic cam followers.
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:29:31 -0500
Listers,
I put in the 123 ignition which has a new distributor included today in my 69
MGC. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all it advertises that it coordinates the
firing  so the engine really smoothes out and optimizes performances. It
quiets the engine and helps it to run more efficiently.  Now I had a noise
that sounded like an exhaust leak. I had a Petronics ignition system in
previously and this spitting sound was prominent. Now it is non existent.
Therefore instead of it being an exhaust manifold leak it was blow back from
mis-timing between ignition and valve timing is my daughters boyfriend. He
works on Porsche for a living. Anyway, It is running great. I will run it at
the current 16* advance for a while and then adjust to 18* to see how that
goes. I can keep adjusting the advance by rotating a disk in the distributor
up to 22*. The highest anyone with a standard C has gone is 20* without
getting pinging.
Jim Schulte
Aquatic Coordinator Souderton S.D.
Co-Secretary Philadelphia MG Club