Motor Mounts

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor Mounts
From: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:00:55 -0800
I am getting ready to install the engine on my 1980 MGB.  When removing it
this summer, I found it very difficult to get the engine out because it
appeared it was wedged between the front motor mounts.  In order to release
the engine, I used my hack saw and actually cut the rubber mount in two to
release the engine.  I found 2 shim plates (each >1/8) between the motor and
top of rubber on the motor mount,  In addition, I found  a square backing
plate but do not remember if it was between the body and the bottom of the
rubber motor mount or if it was between the bottom of the motor mount and the
securing bolt.  I have looked in my manuals and can not find where they talk
about the shims or the backing plate.  The Moss catalog shows a plate (91a)
that goes between the engine and rubber mount.  Could the addition of shims
been causing the difficulty to release my engine?  Also, What is the trick in
installing the bolt on the driver side motor mount because of the steering rod
is in the way.  I have installed the rack and pinion and would rather not
remove it unless I have to.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Merl Rosenthal
1980 MGB (under restoration)