Re: Motor Mounts

To: "Mgs-Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:13:14 -0500
I just went through this myself when I installed a rebuilt overdrive in my
'80 B.

1.  You need to remove the starter before you pull the engine.  Even then,
you do have to rock it a bit to free the mounts.

2.  The square backing plate goes between the motor mount bracket (the one
attached to the body of the car) and the lock washer and nut which secure
the mount.

3.  When I reinstalled my motor, I left off the left hand backing plate and
the lock washer and flexible magnet (the kind that you get from the local
real estate guy, insurance agent, or cesspool service to put on your
refrigerator) to hold the nut in position.

In case you are wondering if it is all right to leave off the washer and
backing plate, this was the second time that I had installed the engine this
way and drove the car for seven years in between.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1980 MGB