Re: [Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:26:34 -0700
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:11:38PM -0400, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

# Opinion:
#
# 1 - no stock engined MGB needs anything more than properly serviced stock
# brakes.

Define stock?

I found that when I took my, at the time, stock, MGB to the track,
the stock braking system just did not hold up. My first step was
improved pads, Ferodo DS-11. These days there are even better ones, I
like the Porterfields.

Even the better pads were not sufficient, so I then cut about 6" out
of the valence between the frame rail and the tire. That allowed
enough air to get to the brakes that they will hold up at tracks like
Sears Point and Thunderhill.

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and I discovered that even a
braking system that is totally adequate on the track will overheat and
"go away" when driving spiritedly (7/10th) downhill on roads like Bear
Creek and Hwy 9.

If you don't have any problems with a stock braking system, trade your
MG in on a Dodge Dart of the same vintage, you're wasting a sports car
by driving it like your grandmother's sedan.

Sarcasm aside, the abysmal nature of a stock system has more to do
with heat transfer than initial stopping power.

# 2 - while race tuned MGBs can use improved brakes they are not legal  in most
# racing organisations - Catch 22.

Which is why racers spend cubic dollars on legal ways to improve their
braking system.

# These brake kits are for people that want to buy bragging rights and talk
# about what great improved brakes they have, but never need to use them.

Or for people who take advantage of the myriad of open track days to
driver their MGs in the manner for which they were designed:
http://red4est.com/jasmine/sdways1a.jpg

# Putting a turbo sticker on the bumper is a heck of a lot cheaper and
# achieves the same result.

It's much more fun to have forced induction on a stock looking MGB and
make people wonder how the hell it can keep up with the Spec Miatas
heading down the main straight.

--
                All your apex are belong to us.
Larry Colen             lrc@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc