Re: [Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

To: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit
From: Larry Colen <lrc@red4est.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:27:27 -0700
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:21:59AM +0930, Eric Erickson wrote:
# I now have disc brakes on the rear yet I believe they have made no
# substantial difference to my braking on the racetrack from in excess
# of 100mph.
#
# In fact any improvement they have made has possibly been offset by
# the lack of "feel" I used to get with the rear drums.  And when I am
# braking from 100mph plus, I am braking HARD.  Nowdays I fiddle with
# brake bias to try to replicate that "feel" I used to have,

Interesting. The reason that I want to install discs on my BGT is
because after a few laps, the drums wear enough that I have to pump
the brakes a couple times every time I need to brake to keep the pedal
from sinking halfway to the floor. And I already have braided steel
lines.

My hope was that with discs, the brakes would automatically adjust
themselves and I wouldn't have to do the three pump tap dance every
time I needed to slow down.

What disc brake system are you using?

# I run on soft compound, 205*50*15 tyres and I could lock those with

What wheel and tire? I was running Kumho 195-60-14 on Minitors. I want
to shift to 15s so I can use the same tires as my spec miata.

# the drums so I am not sure how much more braking you could use.  With
# the rest of the braking system as standard all you need is a slightly
# stronger right leg than those guys with all disc, all powered
# brakes  :-)

--
                All your apex are belong to us.
Larry Colen             lrc@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc