Re: [Mgs] Advice wanted on MGB Brake Master Cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Advice wanted on MGB Brake Master Cylinder
From: mark.jones@exxonmobil.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:56:25 -0400
It's been 6 years since I rebuilt the brake m/c in my 73 GT (the same one
as you are doing) and don't recall having any problems taking it apart,
even getting the spacer out (I think I used a dental tool).  The cir-clips
can be a problem and I did buy a good quality set of cir-clip pliers (with
long nose) which made getting the clips out easy.

As David said, you have to get the guts out before you can assess the
condition of the cylinder bore, fortunately mine was rebuildable.

There are several good m/c rebuilds, who can resleeve the cylinder in brass
or stainless steel, another option if you don't want to buy new.
Personally I think resleeving in stainless steel is a good idea, should be
a permanent fix in terms of the bore.

Mark
73 MGBGT
80 Spitfire