Re: [Mgs] ZDDP again / STP

To: Brian Boss <bwboss@sbcglobal.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP again / STP
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 16:39:05 -0700 (PDT)
Brian wrote:
--- Brian Boss <bwboss@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> This isn't a reason not to use STP, per se, but I
> think GM's EOS is a better product for raising ZDDP
> levels...
>   Here is a good article on oils:
>   http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

...and I add:

   Everyone and his brother has harsh opinions
regarding oil additives.  Here are mine:

+ No additive makes oil lubricate better - including
the additives that make multi-viscosity oils!

+ Oil additives do nothing (good) for a healthy
engine.

+ Oil additives don't fix engines but they CAN help a
sick engine last a little longer.

+ I used "Restore" in a Mercedes 190 and it was like
magic.  That comment is made because the engine had
two problems that the additive addressed.  (1) It had
something in it that caused the valve seals to swell
reducing the amount of oil that would drain past them
and burn in the engine.  Because less oil was being
burned, the plugs stayed cleaner (I was replacing them
weekly!) and the apparent octane-reducing effect of
the oil was minimized.  And (2) In that same 190, the
rings were worn.  M-B bottom ends are incredibly
strong (just like BMWs) but rings do wear.  The makers
of "Restore" claim that there are chemicals in the
product that cling to the walls of the bores allowing
worn rings to seal better.  I don't know if this is
true but my poor old worn M-B 190 went many more miles
than it would have otherwise.

+ The additive is NOT a repair but rather a Band Aid
for a sick engine.  The car wasn't worth an engine
rebuild but I wasn't going to drive it blowing blue
smoke at every stoplight and at every start-up.

Rick
'70 MGB Split-bumper Tourer