Re: [Mgs] ZDDP again / STP

To: "Brian Boss" <bwboss@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP again / STP
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 10:47:52 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Boss
To: Larry Daniels ; mgs@autox.team.net
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 10:22 AM

My thinking is that there is nothing wrong with any decent oil except the
reduced zinc level. The EOS product has around 50% more zinc so you can use
less of it to get to the desired level. Also, STP claims to modify viscosity.
If I have the correct weight oil for my application and change it before it
breaks down, why would I want to modify the viscosity with an additive.

I have never had a high opinion of oil additives in general. If whatever is in
them had all the magic properties the makers claim, why wouldn't the oil
companies put it in the oil to start with? Remember that "Slick 50" teflon
based crap? In the case of the zinc additive, however, it is not some "snake
oil" with wild claims. The additive is just to get back to the formulation of
oil you could buy last year.

Also, I believe there are at least 2 formulations of the Valvoline VR1. If it
is rated SAE SM, or has the dreaded "energy saver" logo, I wouldn't use it.

Thanks, Brian, that is the info I was looking for.

I wrote directly to the makers of STP and didn't get a direct answer as to how
much (ppm) of the zinc additive was in it -- only that it has 4 times the
amount as what was originally in the motor oils before they cut way back.
Were you able to get that ppm number for both of these products?  Can you
share it with us?  Thanks.

Larry Daniels