Re: [Mgs] Rebuilding a brake caliper

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rebuilding a brake caliper
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:42:40 -0700
I was assuming that you had determined the piston was stuck by observation,
after removing the pads for inspection.  Mark suggested an alternative which
I had not considered -- that you were talking about "operational" stuckness
(the brakes continuing to drag after releasing the pedal), which would be a
different story. But I will continue to assume the former condition.

I believe the Bentley manual goes into the process. Essentially, the first
step is to ascertain the condition of the bores, by removing the pistons
(without inflicting further damage -- this can be tricky). It is highly
probable that the bores will show pitting or corrosion -- at this point I
would just just exchange them for rebuilt units. There is really no point in
going any further unless you particularly enjoy this sort of thing as a
recreation.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 9/19/07 11:21 AM, joseph cianciotti at jmc987@verizon.net wrote:

> Okay, so I have to rebuild it or have it rebuilt. How complicated a
> job is it to do yourself? Is there a place where I can get step-by-
> step directions? And what about parts? Other than changing the pads,
> I've never done anything like this. Thanks for pointing me in the
> right direction.
>
> Joseph
> 67 MGB Roadster
>

> On Sep 19, 2007, at 2:00 PM, mgs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:20:49 -0700
>> From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Stuck disk brake caliper
>> To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
>>
>> Probably not. Stuckness would indicate the seal is bad, or
>> corrosion in the
>> bore, either of which would require rebuilding.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>> it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>>

>> on 9/18/07 11:05 AM, joseph cianciotti at jmc987@verizon.net wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering if I pushing it back in would get it "un-stuck" or do I
>>> have to have it rebuilt? Thanks in advance for your always sage
>>> advice.
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>> 67 MGB Roadster