Re: [Mgs] clutch issue for the "B"

To: "1971-red-mgb" <1971mgb@cox.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] clutch issue for the "B"
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:59:24 -0000
A good carbon bearing with correct use *should* last longer than the normal
life of the clutch friction material.  Two years is very short, and sounds
like defective components to me.  If it were your driving style then unless
you are a new driver or have only driven automatics then it would probably
have happened before.  Is the car new to you?  If so could be some issue
with the hydraulics.

When I replaced my clutch many years ago (from a collapsed carbon bearing
despite what I say above) I decided to fit a roller bearing release bearing,
at significant extra cost.  Shortly after it started squeaking just as I
took up or released the pressure, then I started reading that these bearings
need pull-off springs to stop them continually spinning.  Spoke to my
supplier who claimed he hadn't heard of any problem with these bearings or
of the pull-off spring.  Then I asked myself just what I went to the extra
expense for, I've never had a bearing fail before (this car was relatively
new to me), and when the next time came to change the clutch was I going to
leave that old bearing in there?  Of course not.  Complete waste of money.
OTOH I understand the V8 comes with a roller or ball bearing unit as
standard, so neither would I fit a carbon bearing when that comes due for
replacement.

But what are the symptoms?

PaulH.