Re: [Mgs] Color definition for "tan"

To: <John.Hed@faa.gov>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Color definition for "tan"
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:55:59 -0800
John:

It's not quite as complicated as it appears. This information is correct
for the later 1970 onwards trim kits.

Triumph and MG used different names for the same color.

"Beige" (TR) and "Champagne" (MG) are the same color, sort of a light
golden tan.
"New Tan" (TR) and "Autumn Leaf" (MG) are the same color, a more orange,
deeper tone.

"Ochre" was unique to MG, but was only offered in the 70s. It has proved
unpopular, so currently there are no suppliers of the ochre material.

Typically the 1980 MGB with tan interior would have the "Champagne" seat
and panel upholstery. Although there would be nothing wrong with
installing the more orange "Autumn Leaf" if that were your choice.

There are also a number of aftermarket interior colors to consider.

Victoria British offers complete UK manufactured interior kits in "Tan".
This is a color similar to "Champagne", but with a bit more yellow in
it.

Moss Motors offers similar complete UK manufactured interior kits in
"Light Tan". This color is a bit lighter than the VB kits and is
actually a Triumph "Light Tan" material as used in the early TR6 before
they moved to "New Tan"/"Autumn Leaf".

Just to add more complication. I came up with a color that I called
"Honey Tan". This is a totally non-original color which I chose because
I was being asked for a richer looking interior that would be comparable
to exotic cars such as the Ferrari. The "Honey Tan" color and surface
finish is very similar to the rich leather used in mid 60s Ferrari's and
the carpet chosen to go with it is a warm light brown that complements
the golden tones of the seats, yet is dark enough to not show stains.
The "Honey Tan" interior is only available in the sewn custom deluxe
kits which are made here in California.

I'm hoping this clarifies things. In the hope to further clarify, I have
a brown 1980 MGB and I installed the Champagne seat and panel kits with
a non-original Autumn Leaf molded carpet kit. I like the contrast
between the light seats and darker carpet, and have never liked the
silly "black n tan" carpets that were originally installed in the 1980.

Kelvin