Re: [Mgs] Fuel Gauge Calibration

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fuel Gauge Calibration
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:19:34 -0000
The important thing with the later fuel gauge is to calibrate it to match
the sender you have. Having changed senders twice on two cars I found that
the first two, possibly replacing originals, were very different and both
gauges needed recalibrating.  Of the 2nd two the one was OK but the other
needed further recalibrating.

If you look on the back of the gauge there should be two holes with slotted
plates in them, possibly covered by cork plugs.  Basically you twist the
slotted plates to separately adjust the F (the slot closest to the F)  and E
(ditto) readings.  Care is needed to use a tool that fills the slot as the
plates are only thin, they can be quite stiff to turn, and it is easy to
'round them out' if the screwdriver blade is too small.  Only a fraction of
a turn is necessary, they are 'multi-turn'.  Adjust the F first by filling
the tank, that's the easy bit.  Then run the tank down low in normal
driving, and be aware that the gauge needle may stop moving some way before
the tank runs out.  In my experience there is then something between a
gallon and half a gallon left, but it will vary.  For the last bit siphon or
use the pump to fill a container, listening to the pump all the while. Don't
drive to run it out or the pump will be chattering for quite a long time
before the float chambers empty and the engine stops, which won't do the
pump any good.  Personally I then put a gallon back in, and only then
adjusted the gauge to E, to give me a gallon 'reserve'.

More info and photos here: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_electricsframe.htm
and click on 'Gauges' then scroll down to 'Calibrating the gauge'.

PaulH.