Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Swap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Swap
From: zsmithbob@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:46:23 -0500
John, It is not wise to override the lockout switch on the overdrive
transmission.  On some models, the OD works in 4th gear only, on
others, it works in both 3rd and 4th.  What you DO NOT WANT TO EVER DO
is have it in O/D and go into reverse.  That is why you really don't
want to override/bypass the switch.  It can cause damage...expensive
damage.  If enough pump pressure is developed in reverse (a function of
RPM), it will destroy the sprag (a one-way clutch in the O/D unit) and
could result in damage to the case.  O/D in any orward gear would be
OK, it's the reverse rotation issue that causes the trouble.  The 80 B,
I  believe has O/D in 4th gear only.  Earlier units 68-74 had O/D in
3rd and 4th, but those transmissions in an 80 model will give you
speedometer error.  You need an OD transmission with a Blue label.
There is one in Atlanta if you are interested.  Priced at 850, I can
give you contact information.  I needed a black label one for my '74.

http://webmail.aol.com