Re: [Mgs] OD Query

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OD Query
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:04:03 -0800
This is basically what I did to put a 1977 OD tranny in my 66B (5 main
engine).

- New flywheel, rear plate and starter (the last is an unalloyed boon)
- Conversion top cover for tranny hump to accommodate new rearward shifter
location (got this from Doug Jackson -- don't know if it's currently
available)
- Wire up an OD switch (hole was already in dashboard)

Don't know what the hammer bit is about -- I didn't have any clearance
problems. But everyone forgets to mention the shifter location issue. You
really have to do something about it, because the new location would be
exactly where the rear flange of the existing top cover bolts on, so it
would require cutting out two thicknesses of metal, at a funky angle,
leaving you with no rear bolts on the cover, and no way to fit a trim ring
around the shifter boot. The Jackson top cover requires you to cut out about
1 inch from the rear of the opening, and drill two new holes. You could do
the same thiing by cutting up two factory top covers, and welding them
together to make one longer one, with the shifter hole moved rearward.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149