Re: [Mgs] Non -starter 74 Midget

To: dave houser <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Non -starter 74 Midget
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 14:47:28 -0600
dave houser wrote:
> Listers,
> Friend called to ask for help with a problem on his 74 Midget. Car
> running like a champ two days ago. All of a sudden it's quits
> immediately on him. Can't coax it to start again. Replaces coil, points,
> condenser. Still no power to plugs. Dead.
> It cranks, but no start. No spark to points. What should he look for?
In general, what I look for is the following:

Might be rotor. Remove diz cap. turn on ignition IN NEUTRAL. Place
quarter-sized coin across the center terminal of cap and one of the plug
terminals. Pop the points with an insulated screwdriver. If you get
spark this way, but not with it all back together, the rotor is bad.

Other possibilities:

Bad ignition switch.

Coil.   Make sure the coil is getting 12v.

Points setting gone bad.

Timing wrong  Diz might have moved.

BUT --

If he's right that there's no 12v to points - that's where to search out
the disconnect.

Work back from the diz.

-The Roxter