[Mgs] Piston Broke (was Picking a head)

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Piston Broke (was Picking a head)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:16:25 +1030
Wow - today was not good news day.

I guess you never quite know what you will find when you pull an
engine apart but what was meant to be replacing rings and tidying up
the bottom end of the thing turned into a horror story.

One of my lovely, flat-top JE pistons has suffered a fatal injury,
presumably from its broken top ring.  I guess the thing did not like
being over-revved and now has a hole in its side.

My problem, being in Australia, is that replacing a custom JE (.040
over) piston is not a simple operation - with one quote being a 3
months turn around time from them receiving my sample (a surviving
piston).  This leaves me hunting a set of similar flat-tops for an
engine that needs to be back together for its first competition event
on March 2nd.

I have a few leads here but if anyone has any ideas or thoughts I
would grateful.  Compression below 10:1 / 11:1 is not an option.

This was not the sort of news I needed today.  My budget is already
hurting.

Thanks for "listening".

Eric
'68MGB MkII